Wednesday, February 6, 2013

US Post Office Volumes

The USPS made news today by announcing that it would stop delivering mail on Saturdays.  The postmaster general made an interesting comment on CNBC this morning that part of the problem is that the cost of postage can't be raised by more than the rate of inflation.  Still, it's tough to maintain profitability in any business when volumes look like the chart below.  Since 2000 the number of first class letters handled by the USPS has fallen by 33% to 68 billion.  I wonder how much of what's left is junk mail...

US Mail Volume

























I hadn't realized this before, but the post office actually files a 10-K which can be found here.  Below is the income statement pulled from the filing.

Post Office Financials

No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.