Thursday, February 7, 2013

Is AAPL's Loss GOOG's Gain?

Although GOOG refuses to directly monetize its dominant position in mobile, one might expect that any lost market cap for AAPL might be gobbled up by GOOG because the two are an effective duopoly in smartphone operating systems.  Below is a chart of the change in market cap for AAPL and GOOG since November 16.  Since then GOOG has gained $40B in market cap as AAPL has lost $65B.  

Note: I chose to start the chart on November 16 rather than AAPL's September high because that's when the S&P 500 bottomed after a 5% pullback.  I reasoned that this time period was less influenced by beta.


No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.