Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Japan Short Term Long Term Bond Spread

Earlier today I posted a chart of the flattening US yield curve.  I thought for reference it might be interesting to look at Japan's yield curve over the last few decades.  The curve hasn't ever quite inverted, but has gotten to a 0.5% spread on a few occasions.





It's important to note that it's not clear what the maturity of the short term bond is from the data source that I pulled this from, so this isn't necessarily an apples to apples comparison to the US chart.  It looks to me like the short term chart may be more equivalent to a fed funds rate than a 2 yr bond.  It's an interesting chart in its own right and is posted below.

Japan has been in ZIRP for over a decade.  There remains no empirical evidence that ZIRP is effective in stimulating economic growth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.