Tuesday, June 19, 2012

NYSE Share Turnover Since 1900

Since there's been a lot of talk recently about how light volume has been on US exchanges, I was doing a little research into historical volume trends.  At the NYSE's website I found a data series which was one of the more interesting datapoints I've seen in a long time.  It's a long term time series of turnover on the NYSE.  Turnover is defined as number of shares traded per year divided by total number of shares listed.  Turnover has fallen significantly in the last several years from a peak of 138% per year in 2008 to 73% per year currently.  This turnover is up significantly from the mid 20th century when turnover rates were consistently in the low teens.  But interestingly, turnover was at its highest at the beginning of the 20th century, when high frequency trading wasn't even conceivable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.