Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Russell 2000 Performance Based on Institutional Ownership

In pondering why some stocks are more affected by weak markets than others I ran some data since May 1st looking at how different stocks have fared in 2011 based on the size of their institutional share base. Since May 1 the average Russell 2000 stock in my sample has fallen by 17%.  Those stocks with high institutional ownership have tended to do a little better while those with low sponsorship have done a bit worse.  Surprisingly the middle quintile has done the best.  The average stock with 40-60% institutional ownership was only down about 12.5% in the period.


No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.