Thursday, December 1, 2011

Europe's Problem Children

Among bears it's pretty much taken as a given at this point that the European monetary union is on the brink of disintegration.  With this in mind, I thought it might be a good idea to break out the old photo albums and take a stroll down memory lane.

Below are charts of the PIIGS' old currencies from the 70s through 2001.  Every single one shows a long term systematic destruction of the value of the currency.  To bolster the bears' argument: none of these countries really ever showed restraint, so I suppose it's tough to believe that anything has changed.

Portuguese Escudos


Irish Pounds (Inverted as Pounds/Dollar)


Italian Lire


Greek Drachma


Spanish Pesetas


And of course, the "good kids" Germany and France who just tried to play by the rules...

German Deutsche Marks


French Francs


No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.