Monday, November 28, 2011

Average Daily S&P 500 Change By Month

Earlier this month, I posted that the trailing 90 day volatility in the S&P 500 has been the 4th highest since 1951.  The last week has only continued to push the average daily S&P 500 change higher, and today's 3% move certainly hasn't done anything to ameliorate day to day volatility.

To put the month so far in context, below is a chart of the average daily move on the S&P 500 by month so far in 2011.


The 1.5% average move means that the value of the 500 largest publicly traded US companies has swung by about $180B each day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

For compliance reasons, I don't post comments to the site, but I do like hearing from readers and am happy to answer any questions. Feel free to use the comment box to get in touch. Please leave an email address in your comment so that I can write back, or email me directly at Skrisiloff@avondaleam.com.